| Oh my word! I love it here! Yesterday I was super proud of myself because I totally started talking to our cab man who took us to our apartment... he was really really nice and even though I knew I was butchering the french at least I was willing to try. I probs should be a little more careful about conjugating correctly but I figure I will really only get better if I try to use the little french I have and if that means getting made fun of or having people think I am stupid - so be it. The only way I can improve is by trying to be chill about mistakes so that I can practice. Anyway - I love place I live. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to be in the suburbs with a big family and am instead in the city with just an older lady. At first I was super scared she would just correct my french all the time.... but the minute I met her I knew it was all going to be fine. She is seriously the nicest lady ever! Her grand daughter came over last night with her family and I have had so much fun talking to her because she has no idea that I only understand abt 1/2 of what she says ... but 1/2 is way better than what I understood at church (side note- church was super hard to focus for three hours in a different language.... by sacrament I was understanding next to nothing and trying to simply remain awake.) Well- Gloria (the granddaughter is really cute.... I am going to miss her... I hope she comes to visit again.... house is super quiet without kids. I taught her to play go fish and it was super hilarious because I didn't know any of the names for the face cards. So I would ask her and she would tell me and then I would promptly forget. So I would ask again and she would repeat it and then by my time again I could no longer remember the word for jack... by the end she thought I was ridiculous. Then she came into my room and I would point to an object and ask "qu'est ce que c'est que ça" and she would tell me... that was pretty fun. After that Mckenna and I asked her about her favorite animals and that got us onto a long tangent about what a loup was. It involved drawing pictures acting it out and finally the dictionary (its a wolf by the way). So anyway we are living with Madame Des Mazery in her apartment right by the Bastille. We each have separate rooms (I think that is the first time in my life I have had my own room... weird) one small and one big.... I have the small one- but it is still super cute! It has a lovely window that looks onto the bastille monument, a comfortable bed, an armour, desk, and drawers for clothes. The floor boards are old and creeky and everything is in a french countryside kind of style .... basically - SUPER CUTE - ![]() ![]() ![]() It is really fun to be so close to everything. We are just two metro stops away from the Pompideu center where we have church and class (across the street from Pompideu). And yesterday after unpacking we walked around here and learned that we live super close to Victor Hugo's house where he wrote Les Mis. So we went and got in for free because of our sketch art student cards... (they are sketch because they are just laminated papers.... but they worked.) ![]() ![]() Then we got some food... I got a yummy cheese roll thing that was super good! We walked around some more and checked out another museum but we will have to go back because it was closing. We had dinner at 8 which is something I am going to have to get used to. It was a good dinner we had cheese/bread, potatoes, green beans, chicken, and salad... my favorite was the strawberries and crème fraiche and sugar for dessert! YUM! Well- I hope that once classes start (tuesday) we will be a bit more organized- so far the last two days have been alot of just walking around --- which is good.... but it is also nice to have a plan of stuff we want to do.... so I am going to have to work on that. Well... on to more fun exciting adventures... up up and away.... |
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
You're on your own. And you know what you know...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment