Thursday, May 19, 2011

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.


Wednesday:
We were going to meet up to watch the first pirates of the Caribbean (in prep for the 4th one) but then there was some mix up and no one showed up, so Mckenna and I split up (she went to find a bathroom/go home cause she doesn't have class until 2 and I went to check out the college de la france in the hour and a half I had before class. Well, on my way there I found two of the guys from my group who were running late b/c of train problems. We decided to run and try to catch Mckenna b/c I had seriously just left her. So we ran all the way back to my apartment and she wasn't there! We could not understand how we had missed her (later we found out that she had found the other girls who were also running late b/c of train issues!) crazy morning. Well, then we had class, after which Mckenna and Rachel and I walked around the Latin quarter, did some bargaining, bought a pastry and a huge sword size baguette. Then we went home and did homework until dinner (which was as usual fun, delicious and wonderful!)



Thursday:
Today, I started off my day right: with a wonderful run over by gare d'australitz. Then I just walked over there for about 2 hours. It was great! I saw the Jardin des Plants/museum national d'histoire naturelle (which is a lovely jardin/zoo thing that I would love to go back to (but I only saw briefly from the outside.) Then I also saw the beautiful Mosquée de Paris, and walked along Rue Mouffetard (one of the oldest streets in paris - b/c it dates back to Roman times). I walked around St. Medard (a mid 15th century church which was fun) Sadly, I was never able to find the remains of the medieval city wall, but I did find the big roman arena (Arènes de lutèce).... that was pretty neat!




Then I rode the metro home just in time to hurriedly take a shower, get dressed, buy some food at the market, and race to class. I wanted to get to class early because there were rumors about a photography exam (but that didn't end up happening.. thank goodness!) Well, at the institute today there was a huge zone conference thing going on with all the missionaries - which was fun because I got to see a guy from my freshman ward and say hello. Well, after class we went to a really fun vintage store to look around (it would be so fun to just do a huge fashion show there, trying to make the craziest outfits!... my favorite items where the bathing caps! - so fun! Then we checked out St. Eustache (a beautiful cathedral) and hung around Les Halles.


Following that we went to see Pirates of the Carrabien 4 (which was kind of bizare but fun.) Then we headed home for dinner. When I got home I still had some time so I decided to go read by the Seine (it was so pretty with the warm sunlight and all the lovely little boats, people at the near by café, and painters...) Well, I pulled out my french and English books of mormon and started trying to read the french one while sometimes (alright often) consulting the english one.... well, while I was sitting there a random guy came up and sat next to me. I continued to read but he said: hello, to which I nodded and continued to read. Then after a pause he said it was a beautiful day and I agreed and continued to read. A minute later he said he liked how peaceful it was. I agreed again, and he asked my name. I told him, and he told me his. Then we started talking about where he worked, where I went to school, general things like that. I was excited because it is hard to practice french when I am always around american students. So I was happy to try and practice.... but eventually I said I should go.... he asked why and I said I had dinner. He said, "oh no, don't go".... which made me even more determined that yes....it was surely time to go. So I got up and started to walk away, and he got up and was like "attendez, attendez". I kept walking and he kept walking with me. He asked me if I came to that spot everyday and I said no. Finally he said something about a phone which I didn't understand but I said I didn't have a phone. Eventually it ended by him giving me his number (which he had pre-written) and telling me to use a pay phone (or something) so we could meet the next day. I said I wasn't going to call, but he gave me the number and I walked away..... SERIOUSLY - this is ridiculous - I didn't even do anything! How am I supposed to practice my french when the only french people willing to listen to my babblings are sketchy guys! Anyway, then I came home I had dinner (ratatouille, couscous, and cheese stuffed chicken...mmm.) our conversation consisted of how/why crocodiles eat people, and words that are hard for us to pronounce in french and her to pronounce in english. It was pretty histarical because we had mangos for dessert but she just gave us the whole mango and a knife on these nice china plates (at first we attempted to cut politely, but mangos are very tricky little things manger). So pretty soon there we were with mango junk all over our hands trying to cut up this huge mango, while also sounding retarded as we attempted trick french lingo, and laughing our heads off the whole time. I love my Claudian dinners!! Well, gotta get up early - I am planning to watch the sunrise at sacre coeur tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment