Well I am up and away, flying to new exciting adventures on the other side of the globe. I flew to great places, starting with London and the royal wedding! My flight went smoothly as did using the metro. Money exchange was painful because the exchange is about 57cents to the dollar..... ouch! - But I got that done and made it to my hotel without any problems.



After I stashed my stuff... I began my exploration. I went to the British museum... which took me forever to find.... there I saw the island head, a bunch of cool roman glass, a freaking awesome ship clock, etc. I am so amazed at how much crazy wicked stuff they have, yet they let you look at it for free!


After a few hours there I decided to check out kennsington park. So I walked around the park and looked at all the preparations for tomorrow. I don't think I have ever seen that many porta potties in my life! Well, by abt. six I was hungry, sleepy, and my feet hurt - So I decided to go home. I rode the metro back to Kings cross station (but the station is so big that I got lost and this guy from spain had to help me.) Finally I figured out where I was (and... as I was trying to find my hotel I had run across a Nando's) So I went there for dinner. It was sooooo good!

The next morning I got up ate breakfast (typical european food- bread, meat, cheese, croissants, yogurt).....and according to schill tradition stashed some for the road. I then checked out but left my bags at the hotel (thank goon. I took the metro downtown and joined the masses trying to catch a glimpse of royalty. It was fun to be part of the celebration... flags, costumes, signs everywhere. I got to see the queen's car, as well as kate's car for about 2 seconds... but it was exciting.


Then I went back to the hotel grabbed my bags and went to the train station. I got on the train without any problems and slept most of the train ride. I woke up, looked out the window and knew I was in france....it was GORGEOUS!! The fog was rising up from the fields of yellow and green and every few minutes there was a church surrounded by a small village. I love it! But the minute I stepped of the train my problems began. I couldn't find an ATM (tried to ask someone but didn't understand what they said), I tried to exchange the American money I had left (20dollars) but the man told me it only added up to 9 euros... and their minimum was ten.... so I ended up wandering around for a long time with my big bag trying not to freak. Then finally I decided I would just try again to exchange my money... all I needed was enough for a metro ticket... (I thought maybe I could exchange my US money and my leftover pounds... which might add up to 10 euros. However I talked to a another guy at the money exchange and he gave me 10 dollars for the 20... I don't get it. Anyway... then I had to buy a ticket but the machine only took coins.... so a lady came up to me selling tickets and I just sketchily bought it from her b/c she would take my bill. Next I had to figure out which train to get on.... and there were people EVERYWHERE... talk about sam's club syndrome....AAAHHH at this point I was a little stressed... because I was supposed to be at the hotel before 7 to go on a boat ride on the seine. Luckily I got to the right metro stop.... and got out. but.... then I realized there was another stop that could get me closer.... or so I thought - so I tried to go back into the metro station but my ticket was no longer working.... so I had to walk from where I was- which was a ways...especially with my big bag. (I quickly switched to the prego my ego (back pack in front and big bag on the back) method of carrying but even then the straps dug into my shoulders.... so much for trying to not stick out! haha) anyway by then I knew I was not going to make it by 7. I was just hoping to get there period. It took me FOREVER to figure out the right road to walk up.... but eventually I saw the hotel in the distance...It looked like HEAVEN! I went in talked to the desk person and got the code to my room. I put down all my stuff and decided to go walk around and maybe get something for dinner. While walking around I ran into four girls from BYU - who were coming back from their boat ride. It was a relief to know I was really at the right place! So.... here I am in my hotel room.... still a little flustered after all the "excitement" but excited for more crazy adventures to come! Now that I am in my bed I am glad for all the problems - they make for some awesome memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment