Friday, June 3, 2011

Amazing Adventures



Wednesday- We checked out the medieval museum which was super cool and in a really fun building. Then I had to race to class. After class we went on a walk/bus ride to where famous poets used to hang out, and then got the worlds BEST religeuse (pastry) - sooo good! After that Me, Sarah P, Kara, and Paul went to Invalide and saw the army museum and Napoleons tomb. While we were there there was a funny incident with the wind - b/c I was wearing a skirt and there was a group of old guys- well a gust of wind came and picked up my skirt. My hands flew down- and then one of the old men said "watch out for that wind" (in french). My face turned red and then I started cracking up! It was so awkward but so hilarious. That was super fun, and then after Kara, me, and Paul went to Croissy and Kara and I went to a café for dinner and then went back to play games with Paul and Caleb. Super fun good day.



Thursday- What a wonderful - full day. We met the whole group at Gard du nord and took a train to the Renaissance museum (which is in a wonderful chateau). It was fun to walk around and see all the tapestries, and Renaissance aspects of architecture. Then we had a picnic, and rode the train back. Following which I pulled some teeth and convinced some of the group to do a photo scavenger hunt with me all around paris. IT WAS SO FUN! We raced around on the metros and reminded ourselves how well we know Paris, and how much we love it! After that Mckenna and I went home to make Claude dinner - we made Taco salad (which we had to make the taco seasoning (which was an adventure b/c we didn't have all the stuff) - but it was still super good! Anyway, I also made some fresh salsa - that was soooo good (there is only one jar of "mexican sauce" in the store and it tasted WEIRD!) It was so fun to watch Claude's face and how excited she was to try American food. Gloria was over as well, and so Claude would ask how to eat it and then she would try and convince Gloria to try it. It was also super funny to see their reaction to the "spicy" flavor - (which we actually had tried to tone down) - they added ALOT of creme fresh! Well, Claude basically LOVED the experience which made it all so fun for us. Then after dinner we brought in homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk in big cups. Then we showed them how to dunk their cookies and wait till it soaked in a bit - and then eat. They loved it! Gloria was convinced that Mckenna's mom was a Patisserie chef b/c it was her recipe, and Gloria also said -"I love American cookies!"

Claude loved them so much she asked us to save some for her daughter to try. The whole thing was just what I had hoped it would be. It gave us a chance to share some of our culture with claude and we got to watch how much she wanted to learn about us! I really do love her. Then after dinner (yes we did the dishes for her) we met up some friends by the eiffel tower and watched the lights go off. It was so fun to just talk and laugh and watch the beauty of france sparkle! Paris is magnificent!


Friday- Got up today and went to put money on our phone. Then we headed over to the Louvre where a BYU art history teacher was teaching her students and said we could tag along. Low and behold Courtney from freshman year was in that group - it was super fun to catch up with her. It was also really neat to have someone tell us the significance of the artwork - it makes museums so much more enjoyable! After that we went and found an old "how to learn english" book from the early 1900's which we are going to give Claude as a going away gift (b/c she collects old books. Then I came home, packed, took a take home exam, and ate dinner. Tonight me and 7 other girls from our group are going to sleep at the airport so that we can make our early flight to Nice. It is going to be GREAT! (we didn't originally plan to sleep at the airport - but there are no metros to get us to the airport early enough - so - hobo style here we come. Well, I probs won't post anything until after nice so- there will be a lot of catching up to do I am sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment